6 August 2010

Earthbag neighbors...

Last week I found out about another group called Konbit Shelter here in Haiti that is also constructing out of earthbags (superadobe). And what was even better is that they were near Leogane. So we got in touch and made arrangements for us to come and visit their project. I arranged to make it happen the same day that I had Bill with me, a structural engineer from New Mexico that was visiting our site. They were tucked away in a little village up against the mountains. We had to cross the river 3 or 4 times to get there and it was a very peaceful area with lots of shade, fresh air, and friendly Haitians. I wonder why people cram into the polluted, chaotic cities when they have such beautiful small villages where you can build cheap and can grow and raise just about anything.
Walking the walls...

They're employing about the same size crew that we are.


Kids taking a break...


Bill Druc is a friend of Owen Geiger and is a very experienced structural engineer that gave some great input on foundation prep.

1 comment:

John Umland said...

I'm glad you are in Leogane and I'm glad you are trying earthbags. I was down in February with Mission E4, they have an orpahanage on the main road into Leogane from PaP. I helped them hang some new tin and they are using wood framing which is not a long term solution. But I think earthbags are.
God is good
jpu