15 October 2010

One Dream Came True This Week...

Here is Overda ready and waiting about two hours early before school started on the first day. He and the other kids were already up and dressed by when I woke up at 5:15am. Overda was one of the first children that I talked to when I first came across the children living in the field tents almost four months ago.

I interviewed Jean Marc, some of the children, and community members to find out everything that I could to assess the situation of the children so that I could determine whether or not we would be getting involved. I remember part of a conversation that I had with Overda (through a translator):

Me: What is it that you and the other children need the most? (Keep in mind that these kids were eating one meal a day at this time, had no toilet, were fetching water, and were either orphaned or abandoned by their parents.)

Overda: I would like to go to school.

Wish granted. Although he's a few years behind for his age, he's smart and a hard worker and I think he'll be caught up by the end of the year.

1 comment:

Grammie YaYa said...

OH Matt!!! What a sweet boy!!!